Flights

10.9.07

Safely Home

Well, here I am, back in Albuquerque ! A short trip, but a lot happened, and Ania and I had a great time together.

As usual, it will take a while for me to process everything (video, photos, etc.) but I plan to fill in the deatils of our trip over the next week or so.

I got back after a series of really extended flights yesterday. The flights themselves went fine, but both were longer than scheduled for reasons I don't really know. On the flight from Warsaw to Chicago, I had nobody beside me, and nobody in back of me, so it was really nice and I was able to relax and even sleep a bit. This was a good thing, because the flight - which is normally 9½ hours - turned out to be more like 11. Customs in Chicago was crowded, but luckily they were moving people through relatively quickly.

After I got through security in the domestic terminal I found an outlet and plugged in my phone to get a little charge and called Ania, my parents and my aunt & uncle in Albuquerque. Once my flight to Albuquerque was finally posted, it was delayed by an hour, so my three hour wait turned into four.

So, I found a free spot and finished the last two sandwiches I had brought from Warsaw with me - given to me by Ania's aunt who went with us along with her cousin's girlfriend (thanks Gosa!) to the airport. It was nice having a little something to eat after such a long flight. At this point I was feeling pretty good, and just enjoying being off the plane. But after a while of waiting at the gate for my Albuquerque flight, fatigue began to set in, and I was anxious to get the last leg of my trip under way.

As my flight to Albuquerque was starting to board, I heard a familiar voice say "well, talk about a small world", and to my great surprise, I turned to see Fran Brass, VanDyke's COO, coming toward me with outstretched arms. It was so cool to see someone familiar and hear a friendly voice. We didn't have long as they were calling the flight, but I felt really good meeting her there. It was a nice way to feel welcome back "home".

On the flight, I sat next to a man who had a lot to say, and it was really inspirational and motivating talking to him. We talked for the entire 3 hour flight, which made the journey fly by. So, when the lights of Albuquerque finally popped out of the dark desert floor, I was feeling very tired, but also pretty good about things. Relieved to be really be home, I called my aunt Mona for a ride, and waited for my uncle Howard on the street level. He arrived in short order, and before I knew it I was home, fending off two very excited kitties.

My house was in fine shape (thanks Charles!!) and the kitties were no worse for wear. I dropped my bag, undressed and after sending Ania a TXT message letting her know I was finally home, slipped off to sleep in my own bed.

I had taken today (Monday) off of work, and was thinking after my big flight yesterday I might not take the day but go in to work. Alas, after being awake for 23 hours, and enduring some very protracted flights, it was not to be :-)

So, I am home now, happy if a bit lonely, and consider this trip a great success. I am enjoying my own coffee and capturing the video from the trip as I type this. I'll spend the rest of the day processing my photos and napping as I feel like it, and head back to normal life tomorrow.

No comments: