Flights

30.8.07

Back to the Baltic

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Baltic coast of Poland again, and exploring the region of Pomerania around Gdansk in some more detail. One of the highlights for me will be a chance to see Malbork and the castle there. Aside from Malbork, I'm hoping we can drive out onto the Hel peninsula.

The seafood along the coast is usually good, although I'm not overly enthusiastic about eating too much from the Baltic (as it's unfortunately fairly polluted). I'm sure I'll try something pulled from the sea, though. I remember on my sabbatical last year having dinner one night in a really nice place that specialized in pieroggi - I'm hoping we can visit it again. Kozlak beer is a local specialty, and is definitely something I'm looking forward to having fresh. It's a dark bock-style (some say it's a porter) and is a nice contrast to the continental lager styles that predominate the Polish beer scene (not that that's a bad thing, but variety is nice).

We're staying in a private apartment with a kitchenette, so we'll be eating most of our meals in, and preparing picnic lunches to take on our day-trips.

No comments: